Monday, February 1, 2016

A Mosaic of the Mind: Influencers, Information, and Ideation

     As a servant leader, there is no higher praise than when I discover that I have influenced another person in a positive way.  In my professional career, I have worked with many people who have set me on the path to grow and empowered me to develop the skill set necessary to lead.  Beyond those that I have worked directly with, I have been influenced by a variety of people inside and outside the field of education through conferences and various forms of media including books, articles, videos, blogs, etc. I think an apt descriptor for these individuals is the term, “influencer.”

     I am a lover of learning and sometimes feel that I am awash in a sea of information and ideas. The growth of my PLN to include Twitter has amplified the number of influencers I am exposed to and put me on a seemingly exponential professional growth curve.  I am more connected that I have ever been.  Consequently, I am exposed to quotes, opinions and innovations on a daily basis.  I am highly engaged when processing information and ideas.  I find myself validated when they resonate with my belief system. More importantly, I am challenged when new information or ideas conflict with what I hold to be true.  I am stretched to go beyond my perception and develop a deeper understanding of reality. This is the type of learning that I value the most.  Like a mosaicist that collects pieces that have individual beauty to his eye, I collect these ideas.  

     Our district staff development department recently supported our professional growth by allowing us to participate in the Gallup StrengthFinder survey.  Upon completion of the survey, each participant was provided with 5 signature themes that described their strengths.  Ideation was one of the themes that was recognized as a strength for me.  The folks with Gallup provide a basic description for each theme to help us gain a better understanding of what they represent.  “People who are especially talented in the ideation theme are fascinated by ideas.  They are able to find connections between seemingly disparate phenomena.” What jumps out at me is the word, “connections.” I see this ability to connect information and ideas at the heart of innovation and ultimately organizational improvement.   Innovation is more about connecting information and ideas than coming up with something that is truly novel.  Mark Twain may have said it best with this quote:
"There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages."         Mark Twain
     Twain uses the analogy of a kaleidoscope to capture his thoughts on new ideas.  I prefer an analogy based upon a mosaic.  An artist who works to create a mosaic has a clear vision of what the big picture will be.  He then culls through tiles, glass, or other pieces that will ultimately be used to create the bigger image.  He may have collected elements of the mosaic over a long period of time for future use.  As a master of his craft, he must have an eye for the individual beauty of the parts, but also the skill to connect them to create the overall image. 

     I am the lead learner of a school family with over 1,300 human beings under my care.  With this comes huge responsibilities and expectations.  To meet these expectations, I commit to become increasing connected to multiple influencers through an expanding PLN.  I will filter ideas and information through my values and bring them to action when I think it is best to do so for the members of my school family.  I also commit to pay it forward by serving as a conduit for the flow of ideas and information.  This is my bigger purpose, to serve others by sharing.  I strive to find true joy in the service of others, not in personal recognition.  Perhaps in this way, I can provide just the right piece for the mosaic that a colleague is creating for their organization.  How are you building your personal capacity to be influenced by innovative ideas and support others?

4 comments:

  1. I love your analogy of a mosaicist - your Strength Finder was right on target. You do have a great way of making connections and forming big ideas based on those. I'm grateful to be someone who is able to learn from your leadership. Thank you for paying it forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lindsey! Thanks so much for the feedback. The learning is always mutual when we sit together. I appreciate all you do to support our work here at The Ranch.

      Delete
  2. I am proud to be serving my administrative internship under your guidance. These blogs have provided much insight, and I look forward to future editions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angela! I am glad you are getting something from the posts. Thank you for always being so encouraging... your words make me want to do more.

      Delete