Monday, June 10, 2019

Oblivious or Conspicuous?


I have a life goal that has set me on a path to continue to grow as a man. My goal is to be the best man my children have ever known. On my reflective journey to become better, I have noticed something about myself. I find that when things are going well and everything is in its place, I am oblivious to my current state. As soon as something is no longer in a state that meets my expectation, it becomes very conspicuous. A simple example of this could be related to the cleaning of a classroom. Each day we enter and the room is clean. Throughout the school day, busy students traipse in dirt, sticky fingers touch surfaces, and the trash can fills. The next day, the room is clean again thanks to the hard work of our custodial staff. Over time we become oblivious to this positive state of existence. If we walk in one day and the room has not been cleaned, it is VERY conspicuous. Rather than noticing and celebrating 100 days of a clean room, we only seem to notice the one day that it did not happen. A bigger example might be how we take our good health for granted. Only when we have pain do we appreciate the pain-free existence from the day before.

I know I am not alone fighting this dark side of human nature. Why is it that we don’t take the opportunity to praise the majority of students who are doing just what they are supposed to day-after-day? We are often oblivious to their contributions. Instead, those few students who are not meeting our expectations become very conspicuous to us. This narrow focus on the small minority begins to cloud our perspective of the class as a whole, our school, and sometimes even our view of the world. I believe that shifting our focus to make those things that are in a positive state conspicuous, and become more oblivious the other things, makes our life better!

What are you doing to make the positive things in your life conspicuous to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment