Thursday, June 13, 2019

Perception vs. Reality

The human mind is amazing. Our success as a species is clearly linked to our ability to perceive the outside world, find patterns based upon experiences, and learn. Despite the undeniable virtues of the brain, it is fallible. Take two minutes to view the video at the link below.


When I first saw the video clip, I was amazed.  How did my mind misinterpret the reality of the situation?  I rewatched it and tried to force myself to see the mask as it was. I was unable to make this happen.  Despite my best effort, the mask always became convex as it turned to its inverted back side. My perception was not reality.


The relationship between perception and reality is worthy of exploration. One truth that successful people recognize is that our own reality is skewed by prior experience, bias, and our own brain’s misinterpretation of events. This realization helps us slow judgement, seek outside perspectives, and to be truth seekers. A second truth is that other's perceptions are their reality. People, adults in particular, hold tight to their perceptions as truth. This understanding is critical when we work to shift other's thinking.

Accepting these two important truths is fundamental to a mature mindset. Perhaps that is just my perception…. :-)

How do you create an internal, reflective pause, when you are compelled to be a truth teller, rather than a truth seeker?


No comments:

Post a Comment